Getting Started
The first thing I realized as I embarked on this journey is that preparation was going to be key. Menu planning, shopping lists, stocking the pantry would all be essential to a successful #cook90 challenge. Cooking three meals a day will not be an easy task without proper preparation.
With that in mind, I set out to construct my initial first week menu. That's 21 meals that need to be plotted. My goal was to start on Christmas Day, and my initial menu planned for that date. Below is what my initial menu looked like:
The recipes I'm using I simply pulled from the internet. I used the Epicouious website for some guidance. Making a detailed shopping list for the grocery store is key. I don't want to start in on a recipe and find out I'm missing a key ingredient.
Food waste has become somewhat of a problem in my household, as well as in the nation in general. One of the things I'm trying to do during the #cook90 Challenge is use what I make not just as an easy leftover meal, but also incorporating them into different meals later in the week. For example, I made a turkey for Christmas Eve with the family. I decided to make bacon and eggs for breakfast on Tuesday then use the leftover turkey and the bacon from that morning to make my turkey sandwich for dinner that evening. I'm gonna make a pot of chili (perfect weather for that), then use the chili to top my Texas Corn Dogs for lunch later in the week. I'm buying shrimp to use for two meals during the week. This should make shopping easier.
As far as shopping goes, I've stocked my pantry with the basics - plenty of vegetable and olive oil, white and balsamic vinegar, Diamond Crystal kosher salt, oil-packed tuna, white beans, red beans, black beans, rice, quinoa, pasta. I've made sure my spice cabinet is filled with the essentials like black pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder, chili powder. I've got my shopping list put together. Off to the store I go!
With that in mind, I set out to construct my initial first week menu. That's 21 meals that need to be plotted. My goal was to start on Christmas Day, and my initial menu planned for that date. Below is what my initial menu looked like:
The recipes I'm using I simply pulled from the internet. I used the Epicouious website for some guidance. Making a detailed shopping list for the grocery store is key. I don't want to start in on a recipe and find out I'm missing a key ingredient.
Food waste has become somewhat of a problem in my household, as well as in the nation in general. One of the things I'm trying to do during the #cook90 Challenge is use what I make not just as an easy leftover meal, but also incorporating them into different meals later in the week. For example, I made a turkey for Christmas Eve with the family. I decided to make bacon and eggs for breakfast on Tuesday then use the leftover turkey and the bacon from that morning to make my turkey sandwich for dinner that evening. I'm gonna make a pot of chili (perfect weather for that), then use the chili to top my Texas Corn Dogs for lunch later in the week. I'm buying shrimp to use for two meals during the week. This should make shopping easier.
As far as shopping goes, I've stocked my pantry with the basics - plenty of vegetable and olive oil, white and balsamic vinegar, Diamond Crystal kosher salt, oil-packed tuna, white beans, red beans, black beans, rice, quinoa, pasta. I've made sure my spice cabinet is filled with the essentials like black pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder, chili powder. I've got my shopping list put together. Off to the store I go!
Comments
Post a Comment